Golden-eared Tanager Tangara chrysotis

  • Order: Passeriformes
  • Family: Thraupidae
  • Monotypic
  • Authors: Ingrid Nogueda and Kevin J. Burns
Sections

Diet and Foraging

Diet

The Golden-eared Tanager is an omnivore, eating both fruit and arthropods. For example, at one site in Boliva, fruit made up 61% of the diet while arthropods accounted for the remaining 39% (Naoki 2003). Main fruit taken includes Miconia (62%) and Guettarda (33%), typically from perches less 5 mm in diameter (65% of observations), less commonly from perches of 5-10 mm diameter (35% of observations) (Naoki 2003).  Most fruit foraging takes place less than 10 m from the ground, with half of all observations begin between 5-10 m (Naoki 2003).

Foraging Behavior

Information needed. Contribute

Recommended Citation

Nogueda, I. and K. J. Burns (2012). Golden-eared Tanager (Tangara chrysotis), version 1.0. In Neotropical Birds Online (T. S. Schulenberg, Editor). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.2173/nb.goetan1.01